A Better Understanding of Chronic Pain
The concept that“pain is pain”and that chronic pain is simply acute pain continuing for too long is archaic and wrong.
This misconception leads to:
1. General misunderstanding of what chronic pain is
2. Inadequate and inappropriate treatment of the pain
- incorrect medication –
- medication dose escalationc. overdosing of medication
- unnecessary special investigations radiology -cost!!
- unnecessary surgery or repeat surgery – especially spine surgery
3. General neglect of these patients:
- doctor doesn‟t know what to do anymore
- patients get told it‟s in their head –to psychologist or psychiatrist
- patients get told they must “learn to live with it”
- change behaviour‟.
Presentation published on the web site University of Pretoria
Managment of Chronic Pain
Russell Raath MBChB MMed FIPP
Anaesthesiologist and Chronic Pain Practitioner
Jakaranda Pain Clinic Pretoria